[rescue] Sun Blade 1500 firmware password

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu May 20 13:30:04 CDT 2010

On Thu, 20 May 2010 06:43:08 -0700 (PDT)
Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yeah - it works fine. It's real simple to do. With the power off,
> locate the NVRAM chip, it's a black module-looking chip, usually
> with an orange barcode label on it.
AFAIK the NVRAM in the US III machines is an I2C EEPROM, not the
"Dallas" type CMOS Timekeeper.

The trick with the tied high enable pin on the chip doesn't work if the
pin is driven with a push-pull output.

If the machine boots from disk put a disk in place with a working
Solaris instalation and knowen root password. Boot Solaris and nuke the
PROM password with the eeprom(1M) command.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen