[rescue] Sun Blade 1500 firmware password

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu May 20 09:04:18 CDT 2010

On Thursday 20 May 2010, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
> --- On Thu, 5/20/10, Brian Ross <brian_665 at internode.on.net> wrote:
> > Does anybody have any idea on how to reset the firmware
> > password?
> > Preferrably something simple and doesn't require pulling
> > the nvram chips
> > while the beast is running or other seemingly silly ideas
> > I've found on
> > the web.
>
> Pull the NVRAM out while the machine is on? That's crazy. You're
>  supposed to pull it out with the power off. You plug it *in* with
>  the power on.

Uh, this doesn't work on an Ultrasparc machine that I've tried it on.
Have you tried it on anything newer than Sun4m?

A better way to do it for machines with a socketed NVRAM chip is to pull
the chip, and boot a different model of machine with the chip in - it'll
recognize that something is wrong and erase the chip for you.

Trying the "hot plug" chip method on Ultrasparcs has only got me busted
NVRAM chips in the end.

Pat