[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri May 7 10:41:50 CDT 2010

On 7 May 2010, at 15:22, Phil Stracchino wrote:
[...]
> About all I recall having heard about XFS compared to other filesystems
> is that it's optimized for sustained streaming reads and great for
> things like video, but deletes are very slow compared to most other
> filesystems (though not as slow or as demanding of CPU as Reiser).

Sustained streaming reads are "easy". I stuffed six 1.5TB disks into a Linux
box, slapped md RAID6, LVM and then ext4 on top, and it throws DVD images
around at the speed of the underlying storage.

The fun starts when you have loads of piddly little files in a directory with
frequent updates, such as in a forest of Maildirs on a mail server, and expect
it to not run out of inodes, perform badly or corrupt itself. ext3 at least
hasn't corrupted itself on me, which puts it ahead of XFS and reiser.