[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri May 7 23:56:02 CDT 2010

Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> Red Hat or XFS?  And if XFS, out of curiosity, what were the problems?
>
> XFS. They chose it because at the time it was the only thing that
> could meet their performance. They had issues with kernel panics at
> random, and it was difficult getting a solution. Obviously speeds
> increased on systems in that budget.

I seem to recall reading something about XFS under Linux having
potential issues
with 32 bit kernels.... but with 64 bit kernels it wasn't a problem...
but I can't at the
moment recall more specifics...

Work is currently using ext3... but other than the mailserver and misc
web, the local
filesystem is used mainly for booting and logging.... so there are not
specific
performance demands... and at least we've never lost any data to ext3 ...

-- Curt