[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Fri May 7 10:58:10 CDT 2010

> Sustained streaming reads are "easy". I stuffed six 1.5TB disks into a Linux
> box, slapped md RAID6, LVM and then ext4 on top, and it throws DVD images
> around at the speed of the underlying storage.

Not so easy - almost any filesystem can sustain one streaming reader or
writer but the benchmarks have shown that XFS can sustain several of
them, divinding the performance between them quite evenly. Most others
in Linux (the ones modeled more or less directly around UFS) lose the
performance quickly with several concurrent streamers.

XFS has been solid for me on a few systems where I have it, but several
friends have ocassionaly had different kinds of failures. Like Buffalo
NAS box with ARM+Linux where one power loss brought the need to repair
the filesystem and another power loss thrashed the filesystem badly. Or
file IO errors on one disk that fsck-s fine, tests fine but has errors
with 2.6.31 and 2.6.32 kernels (the earlier ones work). So SGI is still
developing it but ocassionally stumbles.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)