[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Wed May 5 15:49:07 CDT 2010

    On Wed, 5 May 2010, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> I think the whole point of Oracle buying Sun is that no other
> US company was interested and the US government did not want
> it to go overseas.

    It's likely either that, or it's Larry Ellison's fantasy about
bringing sand, aluminium, and H-1Bs in one end and having complete
solutions roll out the other.  The only problem with that is that
IBM was doing it 40 years ago and knows how the model *really*
works.

    Does anybody really have any proper intelligence on what the
roadmap for SPARC and Solaris is for things other than supporting
Oracle databases?  Personally, I am just not yet ready to drink
the Intel and Linux Cool-Aid, but it's getting to be a damned
tough rear-guard fight.