[rescue] OS recommendations for Sun Fire V210

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jun 30 15:01:47 CDT 2010

On 06/30/10 15:15, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> Hmm, I've got a v210, and I definately don't think it's "noisy".  Maybe
> compared to a desktop system, but for a 1U server, it's downright quiet!
> A V880 (or V880z "deskside visualization workstation") OTOH is something
> that I would call "not quiet".  Not "excessively loud", but I could see
> an argument for calling that "loud".

My deployment plan for my V210 consists of putting it inside the house
with a dedicated point-to-point gigabit connection to my storage server
outside in the deckhouse, hanging my LTO2 drive off it, and exporting
the LTO2 to the storage server via iSCSI over the gigabit link.  The
goal of the whole process is to keep the LTO2 inside in a more
controlled environment, yet have it logically connected directly to the
main storage server with enough bandwidth to keep it streaming.

Guess I'll just have to see how it does, noise-wise, once it gets here.
 Worst case, I can look and see whether I can swap out some of the fans
for quieter ones.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.