[rescue] OS recommendations for Sun Fire V210

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jun 30 15:25:16 CDT 2010

On Wednesday, June 30, 2010, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 06/30/10 15:15, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > Hmm, I've got a v210, and I definately don't think it's "noisy".
> > Maybe compared to a desktop system, but for a 1U server, it's
> > downright quiet! A V880 (or V880z "deskside visualization
> > workstation") OTOH is something that I would call "not quiet".
> > Not "excessively loud", but I could see an argument for calling
> > that "loud".
>
> My deployment plan for my V210 consists of putting it inside the
> house with a dedicated point-to-point gigabit connection to my
> storage server outside in the deckhouse, hanging my LTO2 drive off
> it, and exporting the LTO2 to the storage server via iSCSI over the
> gigabit link.  The goal of the whole process is to keep the LTO2
> inside in a more controlled environment, yet have it logically
> connected directly to the main storage server with enough bandwidth
> to keep it streaming.

Hmm, with iSCSI, I have a feeling that you're going to be making the
LTO-2 drive shoe-shine pretty badly - you probably won't hit the
40MB/sec that it wants to run at.  If it's SCSI, you might want to just
check out a FC to SCSI converter, and run yourself a piece of fiber out
to your storage server.  It'll be a lot faster, and you should be able
to pick up the converter plus a 2GB HBA for around $50 on ebay.

Alternatively, you can probably pick up a fiber LTO-2 "library" drive
for about $50 on eBay I guess.

Pat