[rescue] OS recommendations for Sun Fire V210

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jun 30 14:15:21 CDT 2010

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010, John Floren wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Michael Thompson
>
> <michael.99.thompson at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I would recommend giving OpenSolaris a shot, if you are up to the
> >> install challenge.
> >
> > If you intend to run a graphical desktop on this system, the
> > graphics board support in OpenSolaris is extremely limited.
> >
> > Michael Thompson
>
> As luck would have it, the system came with an XVR-100 graphics
> board, which I may look into enabling. However, given the sheer
> noise of this beast, I'm not sure I want it anywhere near my
> desktop.

Hmm, I've got a v210, and I definately don't think it's "noisy".  Maybe
compared to a desktop system, but for a 1U server, it's downright quiet!
A V880 (or V880z "deskside visualization workstation") OTOH is something
that I would call "not quiet".  Not "excessively loud", but I could see
an argument for calling that "loud".

Pat