[rescue] upgrading VAXstation memory

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:14:38 CDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
wrote:
> " From: John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com>
> "
> " Hi
> " I've got a VAXstation 4000-60 with 32 MB of RAM. I'd like to add some
> " []
> "
> " On a similar note, I'd like to get a bigger and quieter hard disk. The
> " system has:
> " onboard NCR 53c94 SCSI-2 narrow (8 bits bus)
> " internal 50 pin round cable male connector, 3 positions free
> " external 50 pin centronix female [not a separate bus, last connector
> " of the internal cable]
> " I'm not very familiar with SCSI; what would I need to look for when
> " trying to find a new hard disk?
>
> 1 mini-db-looking connector for the drives ['sca'] or separate data
> and molex power [original scsi]? B 3.5" original scsi drives were
> available up to ~33G iirc; sca go much larger. B they're electrically
> compatible; there are - or were - adapters to put sca drives into
> older equipt, and maybe the other way too.
>
> i assume it isn't high-voltage differential. B most more recent drives
> are low-voltage differential, which can fall back to single-ended
> operation. B hvd is only compatible with hvd, and it's getting hard to
> find. B also, wide scsi drives can negotiate operation on a narrow bus.

It's got a separate Molex power plug... looks pretty much like IDE.
The current hard drive is a Seagate ST32430N which, as far as Google
seems to indicate, is not HVD?

So what I'm getting here is that as long as it isn't HVD and matches
my data cable (or can use an SCA adapter), I should be OK? That would
be the best case, so I hope I'm right :)

John