[rescue] upgrading VAXstation memory

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Apr 20 14:07:26 CDT 2010

" From: John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com>
"
" Hi
" I've got a VAXstation 4000-60 with 32 MB of RAM. I'd like to add some
" []
"
" On a similar note, I'd like to get a bigger and quieter hard disk. The
" system has:
" onboard NCR 53c94 SCSI-2 narrow (8 bits bus)
" internal 50 pin round cable male connector, 3 positions free
" external 50 pin centronix female [not a separate bus, last connector
" of the internal cable]
" I'm not very familiar with SCSI; what would I need to look for when
" trying to find a new hard disk?

1 mini-db-looking connector for the drives ['sca'] or separate data
and molex power [original scsi]?  3.5" original scsi drives were
available up to ~33G iirc; sca go much larger.  they're electrically
compatible; there are - or were - adapters to put sca drives into
older equipt, and maybe the other way too.

i assume it isn't high-voltage differential.  most more recent drives
are low-voltage differential, which can fall back to single-ended
operation.  hvd is only compatible with hvd, and it's getting hard to
find.  also, wide scsi drives can negotiate operation on a narrow bus.