[rescue] Looking for a G4 MDD power supply... stupid power surge...

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 07:35:28 CDT 2010

Well, last night I got home to a quiet room and a blinking clock - the power had gone out. Went to restart things and my main computer, a Power Macintosh G4 (mirrored drive doors), wouldn't come on. Tried all the usual things, it's dead as a doornail.

So, I took it apart and removed the power supply. Looking inside, I see a couple of bulging capacitors - the fuse is buried in heat shrink, so I need to completely disassemble the power supply to investigate further. Tonight I'm going to attempt to repair it - if it's just a fuse and some caps and a rectifier, I should be OK, but if it's really cooked I'm going to need a replacement.

So, does anyone have a spare MDD power supply laying around? Mine was the original "noisy" one, 400w. I don't care about the fan noise - so if you upgraded to the "quiet" one and still happen to have the old one laying around, I could definitely use it.

Thanks!

-Ian