[rescue] Legacy Sun SPARC server parts

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Apr 8 07:26:41 CDT 2010

" From: Gian-Paolo Musumeci <gp at pdti.net>
"
" On Apr 7, 2010, at 10:14 PM, Paxton wrote:
" >> Might have been DC-10s, the memory is fuzzy - they really loved that
" >> airframe, I guess it pre-dated 'just good enough, any not even a tiny bit
" >> extra' engineering...
" > It was DC-3s. Parts are made in Brazil now. I saw a DC-3 in Honduras
" > with one original engine (Pratt & Whitney?) looking good and tight and
" > one new Brazilian one, leaking quarts of oil.
"
"
" The DC-3 used radial engines (Wright R-1820s or P&W R-1830s, mostly).  If a
" radial engine like that stops leaking, it's because there isn't any oil left
" in it.  /gp

i wouldn't be surprised if there's a good supply in russia; they made
a derivative - based originally on ww2 lend/lease tooling - up into
the '60s; iirc engine production was first in russia then moved to
poland.