[rescue] Looking for a G4 MDD power supply... stupid power surge...

Brian Deloria bdeloria at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 08:55:12 CDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, last night I got home to a quiet room and a blinking clock - the power
had gone out. Went to restart things and my main computer, a Power Macintosh
G4 (mirrored drive doors), wouldn't come on. Tried all the usual things, it's
dead as a doornail.

> So, I took it apart and removed the power supply. Looking inside, I see a
couple of bulging capacitors - the fuse is buried in heat shrink, so I need to
completely disassemble the power supply to investigate further. Tonight I'm
going to attempt to repair it - if it's just a fuse and some caps and a
rectifier, I should be OK, but if it's really cooked I'm going to need a
replacement.

> So, does anyone have a spare MDD power supply laying around? Mine was the
original "noisy" one, 400w. I don't care about the fan noise - so if you
upgraded to the "quiet" one and still happen to have the old one laying
around, I could definitely use it.

Those power supplies aren't easy to find.  I tried finding one about a
year ago and they were ~$100+ on fleabay.  What I ended up doing was
picking up 500w pc power supply and clipping the connector off of the
old one and butt splicing it in.

http://haertle.ch/tinker/ps/

That's not the diagram that I used previously however it's likely accurate.