[rescue] modern rescue

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 08:58:11 CDT 2010

On Apr 1, 2010, at 11:41 PM, "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net
 > wrote:

> I know this isn't a rescue of classic gear.... but I rescued some
> nice modern usable
> equipment from the recycle bin....
>
> Dell Optiplex 755, Optiplex GX520, and Optiplex 210L
>
> They were pretty well stripped (no CPU, no RAM, SATA cables removed,
> optical drives removed, etc).

<snip>

> The only kit I've rescued from recycling piles in the last several
> years has been PC or
> Mac.... I haven't even run into a single Sun, SGI, IBM (non PC),
> etc....

What are the chassis types? The 755 comes in at least three forms...

Before investing any significant time/money in any of these chassis,
run a warranty check on them. The 755 is pretty recent, not sure off
the others off the top of my head about the others.

I work on Dell kit at $work, and while shops vary, we would never
strip and trash a functional system. I suspect the trashers (the folks
that tossed these systems) had short warranties and when the MB/PS
died outside warranty, they stripped it for parts and tossed it.

I find it hard to believe a tech would toss a functional system
capable of supporting a Quad Core CPU after stripping out the easily
removed parts.

I work in a K-12 school district in NJ, and we toss GX270 systems when
the MB goes, but we've just learned we will be trying to make PCs last
10 years now. Anyone have pointers on sources for re-capped GX270 MBs?
I haven't googled yet, just curious if any knows of a vendor they have
used previously...

It should be interesting to see a single core Pentium w/HT running
windows 7 in 2014!

Lionel