[rescue] modern rescue

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Apr 1 22:41:34 CDT 2010

I know this isn't a rescue of classic gear.... but I rescued some nice
modern usable
equipment from the recycle bin....

Dell Optiplex 755, Optiplex GX520, and Optiplex 210L

They were pretty well stripped (no CPU, no RAM, SATA cables removed,
optical drives removed, etc).

I'm looking for case bits.... so if any of you work with more recent
Dell kit that use
the same chassis.... (I know the Optiplex 740 and 760 also use this
chassis), I'd like
to find the "special" optical drive and floppy drive "mounting" screws.,
3 5.25" blockoff
plates, possibly up to 3 3.5" blockoff plates, and the front bezel from
the drive area
(that has to be removed to install/remove the 2 5.25"/single 3.5" drive(s).

The Optiplex 755 is missing 3 of its rubber feet too (some of these
systems with this
case design have rubber feet... some do not).

If you have any of these bits you don't need for spares/etc.... let me know.

I'm also looking for a Pentium D CPU for the GX520 and a Core 2 Duo or
Core 2 Quad
for the 755.... so if you've upgraded a system and have one of these
procs sitting
on a shelf... let me know.

I'm also looking for DDR2 memory for these (DDR2-533 for the GX520 and
210L, and
DDR2-800 for the 755).... again, if you have any from an upgrade, etc...
let me know.

Sorry this wasn't classic equipment rescue.... I keep hoping I'll find a
PDP8 to rescue
from recycling.... but I probably stand as much luck as rescuing a
Porsche 550 spyder
from a barn for a week's wages....  (and I'm not even talking Straight

The only kit I've rescued from recycling piles in the last several years
has been PC or
Mac.... I haven't even run into a single Sun, SGI, IBM (non PC), etc....

-- Curt