[rescue] HP 4P printer stuff + HP Postscript printer recommendation request

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 07:12:08 CDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc> wrote:

> My HP 4P finally gave up the ghost after 13 years of faithful service.
>
> Before disposal, I pulled the following items for rescue:
>
> (1) 8 Mb memory module
> (1) PostScript Simm
>
> These are free, other than the price of shipping.
>
> I am located in the North DFW metroplex area, zip 75077.  I can arrange for
> local delivery, or mail the items.
>
> -----------------
>
> On another note, I am now looking for a nice, for home use, HP B&W Laser
> printer with PostScript capability.  I have been looking at the HP Laserjet
> P2055PN printer, with PostScript 3 emulation.
>
> Any other recommendations are welcome.  I have never used PostScript 3
> emulation.  I have older Unix's, newer Unix's (primarily Sun Solaris), and
> Mac OS & Mac OS X.
>
> You're almost always save with PostScript capability.
>
> Any comments here are appreciated.

we purchased a Dell Color laser printer (3xxx series) for home (5-6 years
ago).
it came NIB from a high school that purchased Dell pcs.
Dell gave them free printers as a bonus and they sold the printers that they
didn't need--new & with warranties.
it has postscript built in.
(four toner cartridges, replaceable drum and fuser.)

it works well with CUPS!
we have used it with solaris 8 & 10; red hat enterprise linux 4 & 5; ubuntu
7, 8, & 9;
as well as Mac OS X 10.3, 4, & 5 and windows xp & vista.

CUPS has been updated at various points and can access a good number of
features on the 3xxx printer.
the 3xxx printer has a web server that is easily accessed and useful on our
home network.
the 3xxx printer is a proven performer--physically, it has sat in one spot
for its time with us; we moved it once for room painting; it is heavy.

other Dell models get high ratings in reviews.