[rescue] Trouble installing HP-UX 11i on a J6700

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Mar 16 01:06:09 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:49:15AM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

> Do you think that will matter since the "originals" I have are just CD-
> Rs? I got them direct from HP, but they are definitely recorded, not
> pressed.

Yes, they may have deteriorated with age, or they may have been written
with just enough errors that they were receoverable before and are due
to differences in the drive, are no longer "good enough".

> I mean, it worked to install *once*, it was only a few months ago, and
> I'd had the CDs for a year or two before using them. I can't imagine
> making a copy of the same thing would help, but maybe I'll try it
> anyway. CD-Rs are cheap.

I had that with a pressed DVD Windows install disk for a laptop I bought.
The portable drive I have would not read it. If I copied it on a
desktop PC with a different brand drive (NEC portable, LG desktop),
it worked fine.

I did cheat, since it was the drivers I was after. I copied them to a disk
on key (USB memory stick) instead.

Geoff.