[rescue] Sun 21" CRTs (was: Feedback on Sun 24" LCD?)

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Jul 8 08:03:57 CDT 2008

A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: William Enestvedt
> Curt wrote:
>    I have a flat Sun 21" CRT. I like it a lot. It's on a shared power
> strip built into cubicle walls, so when the guy who's on the other side
> of this wall (and therefor shares my power strip) wakes up his display,
> mine will momentarily shrink and then expand again. Very disconcerting.
> :7)

Many many moons ago when I was starting out I did field service for a
small basement computer company.

I got a call from a medical stamping company in Lake Geneva, WI that was
having a problem with one of their engineering monitors.

At random times it would "shake" and stay that way for several minutes
then go away.

We swapped the monitor, swapped the video card, swapped the power supply
all to no avail.

Finally it dawned on me that the activity was most prevalent during...lunch.

A light bulb lit up in my head and I walked into the cafeteria and
measured the walls and the location of the microwaves.  (Old spring-timer
dial ones no less.)

Sure enough the microwaves were smack-dab on the other side of the wall
from the monitor.  We moved his monitor to the other side of the cube and
he never had a problem after that.

I think that was one of the things that taught me to always look at the
environment first before diagnosing the computer. :-)
--
Mike Hebel

		-- Dr. Who