[rescue] Need help with PortMaster PM2 recovery

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 07:32:14 CDT 2008

> > It does BOOTP fine, and I have it netbooted now.  It's had several weeks

> > of uptime with the netboot image.  I just would rather get ComOS loaded
> > so I could do a flash boot as well.  It is indeed a PM2 and normally
> > boots from flash (except for in my case!).
>
> Is there a way to blank out the flash?
>
> Does it program it all the way, then say there is an error? Perhaps the
> flash has errors and it's failing a checksum?
>
> When in doubt, I'm sure you could find another pm2

There is a way to clear the flash, per the CLI manual, but I guess it's not working.  With the system messages lost, it's really hard to know when something like that succeeds or fails.
The upgrades never seem to really get very far, so I doubt they're programming the flash.  I'll probably just wait for another PM2 or something equivalent; this one was only US$10.  It did work when I got it, I just made the mistake of trying to bring it up to date.