[rescue] Phaser ink

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Aug 20 20:39:44 CDT 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Curious George wrote:

> Then, presumably, through the equivalent of a fuser (which is
> probably *not* heated for the reasons that it *is* in a laser)?

It's kind of pressed between some rollers.  I don't think they were
heated.

>> During a cleaning cycle a funky oval gasket
>> presses against the print head and a vacuum is drawn by the vacuum
>> pump to pull ink out.  The gasket pops back and there is a squeegee
>> inside that then wipes the printhead in an up-down motion.
>
> Can I (easily) see these mechanisms -- without taking everything
> apart?

Remove the top and side covers... then you can pretty much see almost
everything.

>> The cap-wipe is the biggest failure item on the older machines, not
>
> Why the name "cap-wipe"?

It's a cap-wipe-purge unit because it caps the print-head and draws a
vacuum, then draws back and drags the squeegee to wipe the print
head.  It purges by drawing a vacuum.

>> the printhead itself.  If you can't quite clean properly,
>> check the cap-wipe gasket for cracks or complete failure.
>
> "clean properly" meaning if it takes several cleaning cycles?
> Or, if it just *never* comes clean??

Never comes clean.

> It seems cleaning is an issue when I first start up.  Portions of the
> page may be missing one particular "color" (?)

Yeah... crusty wax left in the print jets.

>> I have almost all the Tektronix and Xerox service manuals
>> up to a few years ago which include the 8200 as the last printer.
>
> How does one convince you to part with these (or copies thereof)?? ;-)

I'll send you one if you don't mind attachments, otherwise, I can file
transfer it somewhere.  Let me know which models.

Andrew