[rescue] Phaser ink

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 20:14:51 CDT 2008

--- On Wed, 8/20/08, Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2008, at 2:27 PM, Curious George wrote:
>
> > Yes, obviously.  :<  I imagine the "dried" (congealed?) ink
> > clogs the nozzles and can't be completely "reliquified" -- at
> > least not *reliably* and consistently enough for "print
> > quality" so they just purge the nozzles comletely?
> >
> > I've not looked into the technology.  I imagine it is more
> > similar to ink jet than, for example, thermal dye transfer?
>
> Yes.  It's half laser, half inkjet.  The crayons are melted into the
> printhead which then sprays them on a rotating drum.  The pre-heated
> paper moves by and then is pressed against the drum where the ink
> sticks to the paper.

Then, presumably, through the equivalent of a fuser (which is
probably *not* heated for the reasons that it *is* in a laser)?

> During a cleaning cycle a funky oval gasket
> presses against the print head and a vacuum is drawn by the vacuum
> pump to pull ink out.  The gasket pops back and there is a squeegee
> inside that then wipes the printhead in an up-down motion.

Can I (easily) see these mechanisms -- without taking everything
apart?

> The cap-wipe is the biggest failure item on the older machines, not

Why the name "cap-wipe"?

> the printhead itself.  If you can't quite clean properly,
> check the cap-wipe gasket for cracks or complete failure.

"clean properly" meaning if it takes several cleaning cycles?
Or, if it just *never* comes clean??

It seems cleaning is an issue when I first start up.  Portions of the
page may be missing one particular "color" (?)

> I have almost all the Tektronix and Xerox service manuals
> up to a few years ago which include the 8200 as the last printer.

How does one convince you to part with these (or copies thereof)?? ;-)