[rescue] Phaser ink

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 21:28:14 CDT 2008

--- On Wed, 8/20/08, Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Curious George wrote:
> >
> > Then, presumably, through the equivalent of a fuser (which is
> > probably *not* heated for the reasons that it *is* in a laser)?
>
> It's kind of pressed between some rollers.  I don't
> think they were heated.

OK.  Same roll as the fuser in a laser -- except the laser has to
*heat* the toner to fuse it into the paper.  (obviously, the wax
is already hot!)

> >> During a cleaning cycle a funky oval gasket
> >> presses against the print head and a vacuum is drawn by the vacuum
> >> pump to pull ink out.  The gasket pops back and there is a squeegee
> >> inside that then wipes the printhead in an up-down motion.
> >
> > Can I (easily) see these mechanisms -- without taking everything
> > apart?
>
> Remove the top and side covers... then you can pretty much
> see almost everything.

Will do!

> >> The cap-wipe is the biggest failure item on the older machines, not
> >
> > Why the name "cap-wipe"?
>
> It's a cap-wipe-purge unit because it caps the
> print-head and draws a vacuum, then draws back and drags
> the squeegee to wipe the print
> head.  It purges by drawing a vacuum.

Ah, OK.

> >> the printhead itself.  If you can't quite clean properly,
> >> check the cap-wipe gasket for cracks or complete failure.
> >
> > "clean properly" meaning if it takes several cleaning cycles?
> > Or, if it just *never* comes clean??
>
> Never comes clean.

So, as long as I can get the prints to "look right" after at
most two cleans, I should consider everything "fine and dandy"...?

> > It seems cleaning is an issue when I first start up. Portions of the
> > page may be missing one particular "color" (?)
>
> Yeah... crusty wax left in the print jets.
>
> >> I have almost all the Tektronix and Xerox service manuals
> >> up to a few years ago which include the 8200 as the last printer.
> >
> > How does one convince you to part with these (or copies thereof)??
>
> I'll send you one if you don't mind attachments, otherwise, I can file
> transfer it somewhere.  Let me know which models.

Attachments should be OK.  I have the 840, 860 and 8200.
Though you might want to limit emails to one attachment
per email (?  dunno how flakey Yahoo is in that regard)

Thanks!