[rescue] non-Intel laptop for general use?

James Hartley jjhartley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 21:48:37 CDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> When I was a younger man, people used to buy computers to run particular
> programs on, and that software decision drove the platform choice - you appear
> to want to not follow that model.
>
> I assume by non-Intel you mean not WinTel (Intel and Windows), would MacTel be
> acceptable? I am very fond of my MacBook Pro.

I've noticed over the year or so that I have read this list that a
number of people favor their [Power|Mac]books.  Yes, I'm considering
them as well.

...but I'm also curious as to what Tadpole owners|users think of their
purchase which was my motivation for posting.  Most on this list are
not afraid of sharing unvarnished opinions, & I was hoping to gain
from their experience.

As for why non-Intel, the *BSD's that I am likely to run all have
ports to the common platforms, so I don't feel I am not limiting
myself by making a nonstandard processor choice.

Of course the price/durability ratio is an issue, & yes, an Intel
solution may be cheaper, but I am willing to pay a bit more if the
engineering is clearly solid.  Here again I figured that soliciting
for opinions here would clear up any ambiguity on whether supporting
something other than the gigantic Intel machine is merely a romantic
notion.  :-)

I do appreciate the comments made thus far.  Are there any Tadpole
users out there?

Jim