[rescue] non-Intel laptop for general use?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 29 20:13:54 CDT 2007

>From: James Hartley <jjhartley at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/10/29 Mon PM 07:52:24 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] non-Intel laptop for general use?

>I'm soon to be in the market again for a laptop used for development &
>other things, but I would like to look at non-Intel based systems.
>Would the gentle readership comment on what Tadpole systems are the
>best for their needs & any other non-Intel systems which are
>available?
>
>Thanks for any candor shared.

When I was a younger man, people used to buy computers to run particular programs on, and that software decision drove the platform choice - you appear to want to not follow that model.

I assume by non-Intel you mean not WinTel (Intel and Windows), would MacTel be acceptable? I am very fond of my MacBook Pro.

If it is not to have an Intel (or compatible) CPU, then your choiuces are really limited, and performance will suffer relative to the premium you will pay for the laptop.

Of course, maybe something like a G4 Mac Powerbook would be acceptable (I like my G4 500 MHz Ti Powerbook, but it can only take 1 Gig of RAM, equivalent to a modern graphics card ;^)

Lionel