[rescue] non-Intel laptop for general use?

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:52:21 CDT 2007

I used to use them when I worked for .gov.  They were kinda a pain in
the butt, but then again I was running Solaris on them.  (I love
Solaris, don't get me wrong).  I think there was an 802.11a wireless
card available for them, no 802.11b card / drivers at the time.  one
of the BSD unix like os's probably has something, perhaps even Linux.

>From my point of view, you'll either be running an old version of
Solaris rather slowly or a modern BSD OS at medium speed.   Pick any
old P3 or P4 laptop and you can run both of these OS's at reasonable
speed, Windows, QNX, apparently now you can run OS X (the new one that
is legally stamped as UNIX), and just about any other OS.   You also
won't have trouble finding parts, and it'll be dirt cheap (my 1 GHz P4
laptop was $140 delivered).  Get yourself a free copy of VMWare and
run them all at the same time.  GNU compilers are just as crappy on
x86 as they are on Sparc so you're not going to gain anything in this
arena but you'll have a lot more options in the long run.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to keep the change.

-Bob