[rescue] Apple G4 chassis rebuild

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 12:12:12 CDT 2007

--- Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I picked up a G4 466 system chassis (includes MB,
> CPU, optical drive but no RAM, HD, video card or
> PS), and I'd like to try and get it up and
> running...

Sounds like a fun project.

> I have another G4 466 system to compare with,

That's very good. First things first, try swapping in
the parts to make sure that the motherboard in your
chassis is good. It really sucks to spend time finding
parts only to find out that the motherboard is bad.

> the PS looks to be pretty standard, but I guess a
> stanrd PC supply won't work. Anyway, any sources for
> suitable power supplies for less than $75?

You actually can use a PC ATX power supply. I am
assuming that this is the later "Digital Audio"
variety, with the 22 pin power connector. You need a
small bit of hacking, and a 24v supply from somewhere
(think "wallwart"), but you can use a PC supply. If
you've got the older "Yikes/Sawtooth" style machine,
with the 20 pin power header, a PC supply will work
just fine. All you need to do is clip the -5v lead on
the PC supply. Technically, this wire is Ground in the
Mac, but the pins are all connected together on the
motherboard anyway, so the loss of one ground line
isn't a big deal. Or you can connect that wire to
ground.

For more information, see here:

http://www.outofspec.com/frankenmac/wire.shtml

Have fun!