[rescue] HPPA hardware question (forwarded from another list)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue May 29 12:48:33 CDT 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 11:31:52AM -0600, Robert Darlington wrote:
> I think you should avoid obsolete hardware for production systems.
> You'll spend more money on labor making it work and maintaining it
> than you would if you just went out and bought a new system.

Not if you have an existing configuration that works well, and have
plenty of spare parts and machines that cost you next to nothing.

Plus, older hardware is great for building testbeds which you can then
use to show $management, "Look what we built for $0!  Now, we need new
hardware to put it into production.."

I've done this, with great success, where I work right now.  It was
great watching one department come back with a $440K proposal to
replace what I'd done over a couple of weekends with hardware that had
been written off the books and was just sitting around as spares.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas