[rescue] HPPA hardware question (forwarded from another list)

Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski rambo at id.uw.edu.pl
Tue May 29 13:10:08 CDT 2007

> Plus, older hardware is great for building testbeds which you can then
> use to show $management, "Look what we built for $0!  Now, we need new
> hardware to put it into production.."

Well, it's kind of my point too, but, as the saying goes:
"They don't build them like they once did"
My current server is falling apart after just 4 years in service, while my
12 years old B132L is running like a charm (excluding dead NVRAM battery).
These old HP machines were very reliable and heavy-duty, so what it's 7 years
old, when it will work for another 7 without maintenance?

Rambo

--
OK, enough hype.
             -- Larry Wall in the perl man page