[rescue] Amiga videos online for your enjoyment

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed May 23 14:47:07 CDT 2007

>From: John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/05/23 Wed PM 02:32:30 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Amiga videos online for your enjoyment

>On 5/23/07, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:
>> Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> > Writing an OS for the PC that isn't Windows or Linux would be more
>> > useful.
>>
>> FreeBSD? NetBSD? OpenBSD? Darwin? OpenSolaris?  Haiku? Plan 9? GNU Hurd?
>>
>> I'm sure I'm missing a couple of dozen.
>
>Syllable. QNX. BeOS. Somebody else can probably come up with another 10.
>You know what would be far better than recreating the Amiga on a PC?
>Porting VMS to PC. Somebody at HP get on that, get them to open up the
>old VAX sources or something.

Heh - I just built up a new desktop machine [0] and I can only imagine how fast it would seem on it, relative to 10+ year-old VAX/VMS hardware when VMS was in it's prime (I know, it's still in use, blah, blah, but it was very current as recent as 10 years ago)...

Lionel

[0] New(ish) Intel MB DG965WH with 6x SATA, 5.1 audio, gigabit Ethernet, INtel 925D (3.0 GHz, 2x 2M cache), 4 Gig RAM (hey, 1 Gig DIMMs were down to $35/each for DDR2-667 1 Gig DIMMs), and 200 Gig SATA HD, along with Intel's latest/greatest Vista Aero-capable integrated video. The whole rig came to $435 ($125 MB, $140 RAM, $85 CPU, $50 HD, $35 DVD burner, $50 Antec NSK44000)...