[rescue] System/36 IPL Signon

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Sat May 19 22:17:33 CDT 2007

On May 19, 2007, at 7:33 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>> I'm not too proud to accept a lot of handholding on this project.
>> FWIW it's a 5364 (the S/36 PC).
>
> Rats... I dug through my mainframe stuff, but all of it is MVS and
> system 370ish stuff, and I can't find half of it.
>
> I'll ask a local I know, but I'm not sure he kept his stuff.  Been
> a *long* time since a S/36 of any kind was running around here.

Thanks.

As it turns out, the keyboard mapping for the PC console with the AT
84-key keyboard is, er, non-obvious. The magic I was missing was that
the submit form key is "caps lock". I actually have the system IPLed
right now, and have been logged in and poking around. Looks like my
machine has 1 MB storage and 2x 40 MB fixed disks. Not too shabby.

My immediate problem now is that I can't figure out where most of the
Cmd keys (like Cmd3) are mapped to, so I can navigate my way back
through the menus and shut the system down. I'm having success using
the system from a 3192 clone I have plugged into the twinax port, but
it's not the system console and some actions are not possible because
of it (like, it seems, shutting down the system).

ok
bear