[rescue] System/36 IPL Signon

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 19 22:36:24 CDT 2007

r.stricklin wrote:
> On May 19, 2007, at 7:33 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>>> I'm not too proud to accept a lot of handholding on this project.
>>> FWIW it's a 5364 (the S/36 PC).
>> Rats... I dug through my mainframe stuff, but all of it is MVS and
>> system 370ish stuff, and I can't find half of it.
>>
>> I'll ask a local I know, but I'm not sure he kept his stuff.  Been
>> a *long* time since a S/36 of any kind was running around here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> As it turns out, the keyboard mapping for the PC console with the AT
> 84-key keyboard is, er, non-obvious. The magic I was missing was that
> the submit form key is "caps lock". I actually have the system IPLed
> right now, and have been logged in and poking around. Looks like my
> machine has 1 MB storage and 2x 40 MB fixed disks. Not too shabby.

You know what... I might have access to the keyboard you need.

The other day in a thrift/pawn/junk shop called "Cash Converters" I found an
IBM keyboard.

I thought it was a Model M, but it might be the keyboard you need for this
machine.  It had a Model M style layout, but had extra keys like submit and
some others that appeared mainframe oriented.

I was in a hurry and didn't get a model number or connector type.

If you want, I'll be in there again probably this coming week, and could look.

I doubt anyone will buy it.

Seems like it was $5.

The guy had a whole stack of 1.44MB floppy drives for $1.  I plan on hitting
them now and then to see what they have.  You never know what might show up.

--
shannon           | Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are scattered far,