[rescue] Cisco 7505

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Fri May 4 11:02:49 CDT 2007

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Cisco routers use regular serial, but over an 8-position modular
> connector (which some folks erroneously refer to as 'RJ45').  The pinout
> is mentioned in nearly every piece of Cisco documentation I've seen, and
> the adapters are easy to build (you can get blank serial<->modjack
> widgets at nearly any electronics supply store for pennies).

Like Steve Haavik mentioned, not all of them. Some of the 750x RSPs and
some Catalyst supervisor blades are the ones that come to mind.

The exceptions use a 25-pin serial port, in which case you need a 9-pin
to 25-pin straight through cable. Incidentally, this straight through
cable is what you use to connect an external modem to a PC ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com