[rescue] Cisco 7505

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu May 3 20:35:22 CDT 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, John Floren wrote:

> I recently came into possession of a Cisco 7505 router; now I'm
> wondering what I should do with it.  It's got a "Route Switch
> Processor 4" board, 3 boards with what look like 2 "Fast Ethernet"
> 'modules' each, and a "FDDI Interface Processor" board.

In that configuration, sell it.  It should still bring decent cash.

> The whole thing will power on, lights blink, it looks fine, but
> lacking any fiber equipment or even a compatible serial console cable
> (it uses some special cable, right?), I can't test it any more.

Cisco routers use regular serial, but over an 8-position modular
connector (which some folks erroneously refer to as 'RJ45').  The pinout
is mentioned in nearly every piece of Cisco documentation I've seen, and
the adapters are easy to build (you can get blank serial<->modjack
widgets at nearly any electronics supply store for pennies).

After that, you'll need to do password recovery, and all the methods for
doing that are documented on Cisco's site.  If you've never played with
IOS before, it's quite a treat|  It has interactive help (just type ?
anytime) and is very verbose.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "If we keep our pride, though paradise is lost, we
Elgin, TX        (   will pay the price, but we cannot count the cost."