[rescue] Cisco 7505

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Fri May 4 11:16:43 CDT 2007

On 5/4/07, Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com> wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > Cisco routers use regular serial, but over an 8-position modular
> > connector (which some folks erroneously refer to as 'RJ45').  The pinout
> > is mentioned in nearly every piece of Cisco documentation I've seen, and
> > the adapters are easy to build (you can get blank serial<->modjack
> > widgets at nearly any electronics supply store for pennies).
>
> Like Steve Haavik mentioned, not all of them. Some of the 750x RSPs and
> some Catalyst supervisor blades are the ones that come to mind.
>
> The exceptions use a 25-pin serial port, in which case you need a 9-pin
> to 25-pin straight through cable. Incidentally, this straight through
> cable is what you use to connect an external modem to a PC ;)

I guess I got lucky. My 25-to-9 pin serial cable works fine; I'm
sitting at the console via minicom. Here's some of the interesting
messages that came up:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(8)CA1, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1997 by cisco Systems, Inc.

SLOT 6 RSP is system master
RSP4 processor with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

<more messages>

IOS (tm) RSP Software (RSP-P-M), Version 12.0(28b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Compiled Fri 07-Jan-05 23:53 by kellmill
Image text-base: 0x60010930, data-base: 0x607CA000

cisco RSP4 (R5000) processor with 65536K/2072K bytes of memory.
R5000 processor, Implementation 35, Revision 2.1 (512KB Level 2 Cache)
Last reset from power-on
G.703/E1 software, Version 1.0.
G.703/JT2 software, Version 1.0.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
Chassis Interface.
1 FIP controller (1 FDDI).
3 FEIP controllers (6 FastEthernet).
6 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 FDDI network interface(s)

8192K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 256K).

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn