[rescue] Burning IRIX boot disks

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jun 20 15:11:55 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 03:56:49PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:

> As far as taking files on a PC and then burning a disc image readable in
> IRIX, I've downloaded a port of the command line mkisofs utility to
> Windows to create a combination ISO 9660 + Rockridge + Joliet disc image
> (so that I get long filenames in both UNIX and Windows), and then burned
> it with standard CD burning software like Nero in Windows.  I've
> documented the switches for that image creation at home, let me know if
> you need it.

I think the problem is that he wants an old SGI machine to BOOT from it.
That's more difficult, it has to be EFS. (Extent File System),
having nothing to do with a Linux files system called EFS too.

There was at one time (2.2) an EFS kernel module for READING EFS CD's.
It required a  CD reader capable of reading 512 byte blocks,

It seems to be in my 2.6 kernel too (I tend to take the everything
option when I can), I don't know if any distributions include it.

I don't have any EFS disks, so I can't say if it works.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838