[rescue] FTP site for archive of _all_ old platforms on it's way

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 16:12:12 CDT 2007

You could always do the "Complain if you don't like it" method. Can
someone actually sue you until they issue you a cease-and-desist? You
could just go ahead and set it up, and if they complain, take it down.

Timothy

On 6/18/07, Doug McLaren <dougmc at frenzied.us> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 07:44:39PM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>
> | Heya everyone, I worked with Charles Shannon Hendrix today on setting up a
> | new system that will be quasi-public (registration required, but otherwise
> | open ftp) to start to build a library of all older OSes and software
> | (commercial and open), for old, outdated, not-productive-anymore
> | platforms.
>
> Abandonware.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware
>
> Unfortunately, this stuff is still covered by copyrights, and while
> it's often not clear who owns the copyright for something, that won't
> stop them from going after you if they think they own it and and can
> get a buck out of you.
>
> People have gone after the abandonware sites before.  They're run a
> bit more openly than the `real' warez sites as there's not much
> interest, but they're not really `mainstream'.
>
> I really like the idea.  But you might want to be careful ...
>
> --
> Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
> Resistance is futile - you will be assimilated!

"Believing in a DRM business model is like joining Star Fleet
security, putting on your red shirt, and volunteering to beam down to
the new unexplored plant with Kirk, Spock and McCoy." --   Jeremy
Allison