[rescue] FTP site for archive of _all_ old platforms on it's way

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Mon Jun 18 15:44:00 CDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 07:44:39PM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

| Heya everyone, I worked with Charles Shannon Hendrix today on setting up a
| new system that will be quasi-public (registration required, but otherwise
| open ftp) to start to build a library of all older OSes and software
| (commercial and open), for old, outdated, not-productive-anymore
| platforms.

Abandonware.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Unfortunately, this stuff is still covered by copyrights, and while
it's often not clear who owns the copyright for something, that won't
stop them from going after you if they think they own it and and can
get a buck out of you.

People have gone after the abandonware sites before.  They're run a
bit more openly than the `real' warez sites as there's not much
interest, but they're not really `mainstream'.

I really like the idea.  But you might want to be careful ...

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
Resistance is futile - you will be assimilated!