[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Wed Jun 13 15:27:31 CDT 2007

> At one time a group of people working for AT&T Labs went through the
> "free" BSD code and compared it line for line looking for AT&T code.
> They found none, so BSD is not UNIX.

I think that does not follow.  For a system to have the right to be
labeled with the trademark "UNIX", as I understand it, it needs to pass
a certification suite, nothing more - it does not need to have any Bell
Labs code in it.  Testing against the suite is expen$ive, too, and
quite probably certifies only a particular version, so the BSDs (a)
probably couldn't afford it and (b) wouldn't see the point when their
system is a fast-moving target anyway.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca