[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jun 13 15:16:36 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 04:04:43PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> sfu as it is now, yes.  interix as it was, no; you could boot the 2.2
> kernel and ditch win32 and have a posix-compliant system.

Another point is that SFU is an add on to Windows, which is a Microsoft brand. UNIX was
an AT&T brand before it was sold. BSD is not UNIX because the people who developed it
wanted to be released from AT&T licensure. At one time a group of people working for
AT&T Labs went through the "free" BSD code and compared it line for line looking for
AT&T code. They found none, so BSD is not UNIX.

Apple on the other hand had a license to sell an operating system called UNIX.
At one time it was based on the AT&T code and called A/UX. They still have that
license and as long as it is not in the open source portions of the operating
system (which I understand now are none), they can include as much AT&T code as
they like, and call the result UNIX.  (even if it contains NO AT&T code).

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838