[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Jun 13 14:51:26 CDT 2007

Robert Darlington wrote:

> I did NOT enjoy my time managing about 1200 OS X systems as a UNIX
> admin.  Hardly anything behaved like every other UNIX or UNIX like
> system I ever used.

   Well, take another look: the Unix under OS X has gotten a lot more
like what you'd expect.

   When the new OS first came out of beta a few years ago it was as much
like Unix as the old Dan Quayle quote about speaking Latin in Latin
America. :7) Some brave souls (e.g., Marcel Bresink) wrote tutorials on
topics like getting OS X on Blue & White G3s into your NIS network, but
they made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

   These days it just works, a lot of the time. I am a lot happier going
between OS X and Solaris than between either of those and Windows XP.

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt
UIS Database Team Lead & Unix System Administrator