[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 02:23:36 CDT 2007

On 13 Jun 2007, at 20:51, William Enestvedt wrote:

> Robert Darlington wrote:
>>
>> I did NOT enjoy my time managing about 1200 OS X systems as a UNIX
>> admin.  Hardly anything behaved like every other UNIX or UNIX like
>> system I ever used.
>>

>    Well, take another look: the Unix under OS X has gotten a lot more
> like what you'd expect.
>
>    When the new OS first came out of beta a few years ago it was as
> much
> like Unix as the old Dan Quayle quote about speaking Latin in Latin
> America. :7) Some brave souls (e.g., Marcel Bresink) wrote
> tutorials on
> topics like getting OS X on Blue & White G3s into your NIS network,
> but
> they made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
>
>    These days it just works, a lot of the time. I am a lot happier
> going
> between OS X and Solaris than between either of those and Windows XP.

When NEXTSTEP first morphed into OS X it was still heavily reliant on
NetInfo. As such so were early OS X versions. Of late less and less
is depending on netinfo and I get the impression they are trying to
ditch it in favour of proven UNIX methods. It's not UNIX as I
understand it from using Solaris and AIX, for gods sakes it doesn't
even have 'pg'! It is currently much closer to UNIX than it was
though, which can't be a bad thing...

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: