[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Jun 13 14:44:33 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 01:39:17PM -0600, Robert Darlington wrote:
> On 6/13/07, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com>wrote:
>> http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3552.htm
>
> I guess the pigs have flown.  I did NOT enjoy my time managing about
> 1200 OS X systems as a UNIX admin.  Hardly anything behaved like every
> other UNIX or UNIX like system I ever used.  Hell, even NIS ignored
> the shell field in the password maps.  Maybe things improved in the
> past 2.5 years to the point where a UNIX admin woudln't wan to throw
> these things out a window.

I've not had to manage a bunch of them, just a few as stand-alone
workstations, never in a NIS environment or anything.  Yes, there are
some things that are different, but once I started to understand how
netinfo worked, I was able to get things done.  Just like any other
UNIX, it has it's quirks and seems to have functional work-arounds for
what I've needed, so far.  My only real experience with Mac OS X has
been 10.4.x, so, I don't know all the pains that previous incarnations
had, though I've heard some pretty good horror stories.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org