[rescue] Sony NWS-3410 switch settings?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Jun 8 09:37:18 CDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 01:33:57PM +0200, Marc Gutschner wrote:
> So I've started with the more "fun" items and have pulled a Sony NeWS
> workstation (model NWS-3410) from storage. First question: Does anyone
> know if a "run of the mill" CRT should work on this? I'v a SoG-capabel
> Iiyama and an assortment of monitor cables readily available.

Any SoG monitor that takes 3BNC should work.

At one point I had one of these, along with the "real" Sony monitor,
external tape drive, etc.  It powered up, but the OS install was bad
and I didn't have reinstall tapes. 8-(  Tried to donate it to the NetBSD
folks, but I ended up having to dumpster it when I moved a couple of years
ago because I couldn't get anyone to come take it off my hands.

> There is a bank of 8 dip switches behind the front panel that I don't
> know anything about. Anyone happen to have some h/w documentation for
> these machines?

Unfortunately, there's a huge lack of information online about these
machines (at least on English-language websites); they were decent systems
but apparently got steamrolled in the US market by the SPARCstation 1 and
such.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford