[rescue] Anyone got a spare copy of Solaris 8/x86?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Dec 11 16:37:12 CST 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 09:21:35PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> I was under the impression that Solaris 2 is based upon Interactive's
> sV product, but someone on this list said that Sun was working on
> a version of their own before the purchase.

It was pretty much a straight port of SysV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Unix

Sun basically sold it as their x86 UNIX offering before coming out with
"Solaris x86".  I had a copy at one point; ended up selling it to some guy
who needed it badly to restore a system he was using to run a printing
press or something like that (this was in'98).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Microsystems#Operating_systems

"From 1992 Sun also sold INTERACTIVE UNIX, an operating system it acquired
when it bought INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation from Eastman Kodak Company.
This was a popular UNIX variant for the PC platform and a major competitor
to market leader SCO UNIX. Sun's focus on INTERACTIVE UNIX diminished in
favor of Solaris on both SPARC and x86 systems; it was dropped as a product
in 2001."

That's impressive that they supported IU for FIFTEEN YEARS.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas