[rescue] Anyone got a spare copy of Solaris 8/x86?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Dec 11 13:21:35 CST 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 01:33:51PM -0500, Sandwich Maker wrote:
   I wrote:
> " It probably has to do with when SUN got involved with UNIX. Their
> " original UNIX licenses were based on the concept that they would return
> " all of their "improvements" to the public domain ala BSD.
>
> this makes sense for sunos4, which was bsd based...

> " AFAIK it was not part of the actual license. :-)
> "
> " IRIX was under System V licensing, $60 to AT&T for a workstation, $250
> " for a server.
>
> ...but solaris 2 is sV based too.

It depends upon the wording of the license. If it said something like
"all future versions", then it would fit.

Have you ever seen the contract for the sale of UNIX to SCO from Novell?
After reading what was published as part of the lawsuit, they could have
included the Brooklyn Bridge, complete with drawings and engineering
specs and no one would have noticed, it was so big and convoluted.

It also depends upon the wording of Interactive's license. They were
bought out by Kodak, and then sold to Sun.

I was under the impression that Solaris 2 is based upon Interactive's
sV product, but someone on this list said that Sun was working on
a version of their own before the purchase.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838