[rescue] Anyone got a spare copy of Solaris 8/x86?

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Dec 11 19:39:47 CST 2007

Bill Bradford wrote:

> It was pretty much a straight port of SysV.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Unix
>
> Sun basically sold it as their x86 UNIX offering before coming out with
> "Solaris x86".  I had a copy at one point; ended up selling it to some guy
> who needed it badly to restore a system he was using to run a printing
> press or something like that (this was in'98).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Microsystems#Operating_systems
>
> "From 1992 Sun also sold INTERACTIVE UNIX, an operating system it acquired
> when it bought INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation from Eastman Kodak Company.
> This was a popular UNIX variant for the PC platform and a major competitor
> to market leader SCO UNIX. Sun's focus on INTERACTIVE UNIX diminished in
> favor of Solaris on both SPARC and x86 systems; it was dropped as a product
> in 2001."

I worked for Sun when the focus 'shifted' from Interactive Unix to Solaris
x86.  I was in the SunService 'planet' (division) in level 2 support.  I
actually
went out to SunSoft South at least once (which as I was told then were the
'old' Interactive guys (or what was left of them?).  They were the team that
did the 'port' of Solaris to x86 (from what I recall being told
anyway).  They
gave us 'training' on the ins and outs of Solaris on x86 architecture
and were
our escalation path for issues requiring attention of engineering.

They were a good team.  There was lots of Interactive stuff kicking
around in
that office :-) (I recall it was in Los Angeles).

-- Curt