[rescue] Using PATA/SATA disk controllers in an Ultra 60

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Fri Aug 24 14:55:43 CDT 2007

I've got an ultra60 that I want to play with as a zfspool fileserver.

Now I've worked out that I can successfully mount 3 additional hard
disks in the two stiffy and one cdrom bays (that's in addition to the 2
SCA SCSI bays lower down). And I suspect the 350W onboard PSU will be
sufficient (although I can always drop one of the SCSI disks).

I have 3 spare disks that are larger than your run of the mill SCA disks
that I want to use for this purpose, they are:
1 X 120 GB IDE / (ATA133) (Shouldn't cost me too much to replace this
baby if I have to)
1 X 200 GB SATA
1 X 120 GB SATA

The problem is really which operating system to use to get ZFS. The
choice is between using freebsd -current (which may not be stable), and
opensolaris. I am struggling a bit at the moment to get solaris to
recognize the controllers / create /dev/(r)dsk devices, but maybe one of
the rescue crowd has done something similar and got it to work.

Under freebsd 6.2 this is how the controllers are identified by pciconf:
atapci1 at pci1:1:0:       class=0x010400 card=0x65121095
chip=0x35121095 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Silicon Image Inc (Was: CMD Technology Inc)'
    device   = 'Sil 3512 SATALink/SATARaid Controller'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = RAID
atapci0 at pci0:2:0:       class=0x018000 card=0x4d33105a
chip=0x4d38105a rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Promise Technology Inc'
    device   = 'PDC20262 FastTrak66 EIDE Controller'
    class    = mass storage

and the devices appear in the dmesg as
ad0: 117246MB <Maxtor 6Y120P0 YAR41BW0> at ata2-master UDMA66
ad1: 114473MB <WDC WD1200JD-00GBB0 02.05D02> at ata4-master SATA150

Probably with a bit of Forth magic I could get OBP to recognize the
promise controller, but I'm not really sure about the Sil controller.

So, has anyone else on rescue played with something similar? How stable
/ usable is freebsd -current for this purpose?

Regards,
Jonathan