[rescue] Sun 3's... was Re: Need Sun 3/110 RAM and Battery

Fri Aug 24 16:33:47 CDT 2007

>> What about -5?  The power supply feeds them -5V as well; what's that
>> there for?
> I don't know. Is there a -5 V line at all?

There was in the SLC/ELC I pulled apart and looked at in detail; see
http://www.sunhelp.org/~mouse/ for more.

>> Also, if you drop 112V, [...]

Gah.  I forgot the list mangles non-ASCII characters; that first 1 was
an 8859-1 plus-or-minus character when the message left me.  (I notice
it's doing likewise to your signature tagline, produciung "tsch|_"....)

> If you use a AUI-MAU with its own PSU like a DEC DELNI you don't need
> the 12 V for ethernet.

Duh, of course.  I should have thought of that; I even own two or three
such multiport AUI boxes.  (Don't use them much these days, since I
don't use AUI Ethernet very much any longer, but I should not have
needed a reminder that not everything needs power from the AUI cable.)

> Once the machine is up and running you can access it via network.  So
> no need for +-12 V for the RS232 either.

Well, at least not until something breaks and you need console access!

> Some years ago I mounted an ELC board in an external SCSI box
> together with a CDROM, a CDR and a SCSI disk.  Makes a nice
> "CD-Toaster".

That does sound like a cool hack, yes.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign