[rescue] Sun 3's... was Re: Need Sun 3/110 RAM and Battery

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Aug 24 14:20:27 CDT 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:27:25 -0700
Steven M Jones <smj+rescue at crash.com> wrote:

> When I was actively pursuing a research project around the Sprite
> operating system -- one reason for my switch to Sun-3's --
Cool. Once I wanted to exhibit a Sprite cluster at the Vintage Computer
Festval Europa, but I could not get it up and running. All I got was one
stand alone SPARC machine that allways crashed when I tried to label a
disk. I still want to see a living Sprite cluster.

> I badly wanted to stuff a /260 chassis with as many 3/60 boards as I
> could find and wire them up as what we'd now call a cluster. Not an
> original idea, but I couldn't tell you where I picked it up.
A friend had a similar idea with Sun ELC boards. They are small, one of
the fastest sun4c machines and need only 5 V @ 2 A. (+-12 V is needed
for serial ports and the Ethernet transceiver only.)
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen